Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Today I have honored the life of my beautiful, strong, humble, giving mother Luz Armida Corona Villavicencio.




Mama (1955-2007) and I

Five years ago she passed away from  stage four Lung Cancer, the cancer took her life so quickly.  Back then we had HMO insurance which SUCKED when it came to getting medical tests approved.


This was the worst experience in my life.  I lost a mother that I took for granted. A mother that was so dedicated to her friends, family, and Catholic faith.


When we found out my mother had cancer, we had no idea what to do, or where to go. We didn't know what the next step would be.  But as a family (my brother, father, and I), we made the best decisions we could for her, since at this point she could not communicate for herself.


 Although I no longer have the most amazing woman in my life, who was the best cook, cleanest cleaner, loyal friend, outstanding wife, and most passionate mother, I know she is with me on my worst and happiest days. She is the reason for my existence, not only in a literal sense, but in a spiritual sense as well.


I am writing this so that my readers know that it is OK to ask doctors questions, all the questions in the world!! We are not doctors, we don't understand the doctor terminology, so cut to the chase and EXPLAIN to us what we need to KNOW!


I have learned that we have to be our own advocates and we do this by asking questions, doing our own research, and getting second opinions.


As cliche as it sounds, there IS only one life to live, it is such a precious one.  Stay on top of your health, look out for yourself, and live a joyous and content life!


Happy birthday mami, I miss you very much and you are in my heart.




God bless you all,


and remember....life IS beautiful!!!!


Roma


p.s.


HUGG and KISS all of your mamas for me xOxO









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that beautiful remembrance of your Mom. It is a great reminder for those of us that are survivors that we have to always be ambassadors for regular mammograms, check-ups etc. and encourage people to be their own best advocate when it comes to healthcare. Cancer is not fair but it is made much worse by the ridiculous healthcare "system" here in the U.S..We need to work to change that, too!

    ReplyDelete